Why Mbappé Got Off Easily After Brutal Tackle Against Alavés

Date:

Real Madrid forward, Kylian Mbappé has been handed a one-match suspension for his reckless red card against Alavés — but why did he escaped a longer ban?

The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) confirmed the decision on Tuesday, classifying the incident as “violent conduct.”

The red card — Mbappé’s first in a Madrid shirt — came in the 38th minute of Sunday’s 1-0 win over Alavés, after VAR review caught the French forward launching a high, studs-up challenge on midfielder Antonio Blanco.

What’s more shocking? He’ll miss just one game.

 Kylian Mbappé, Real Madrid
Why Kylian Mbappé Got Off Easily After Brutal Tackle

The Loophole That Saved Mbappé

The RFEF disciplinary committee cited “violent conduct,” but crucially, the referee’s match report noted that Mbappé’s challenge occurred “while disputing the ball” — a key technicality that reduced his potential suspension from three games to one.

“It was a clear red-card challenge, and he’s suffered the consequences,” said Davide Ancelotti, Madrid’s assistant coach and son of manager Carlo Ancelotti.

“Kylian isn’t a violent lad for sure; he’s said sorry, he’s aware of the mistake he made,” Ancelotti added.

“All the little fouls they committed on him made him react in that way. It wasn’t the right way, I’m not justifying it, but that’s what happened.”

What It Means for Real Madrid

Mbappé will now miss Sunday’s LaLiga clash against Athletic Club, but will be available for this critical fixture:

  • The Copa del Rey final vs. Barcelona on April 26

 

Kylian Mbappé’s Disciplinary Record

This is Mbappé’s fourth career red card:

  • 1 in Ligue 1

  • 2 in domestic cups with PSG

  • 1 in LaLiga (his first for Real Madrid)

Previous article
“No Connections, No Favors!” — Eric Chelle Drops Bombshell on How He Landed Super Eagles Job Eric Chelle has lifted the lid on how he became the head coach of Nigeria’s Super Eagles — and it wasn’t through big names, favours, or football politics. The 47-year-old insists his appointment came the hard way: by answering a job posting and selling his vision in a formal interview. Chelle, born in Côte d’Ivoire and a former Mali international, was announced as Nigeria’s new head coach in January 2025, succeeding Augustine Eguavoen. While fans had been anticipating a high-profile European tactician — with names like Janne Andersson (ex-Sweden) and Bruno Labbadia (ex-Leverkusen) linked to the role — the NFF shocked many by unveiling Chelle, a relatively low-key figure with only one major international tournament under his belt. Yet Chelle insists his hiring was based purely on merit. “When I left the Malian team, there was a call for applications from the NFF, from the Nigerian Federation and so I applied like any other coach and then interview came,” Chelle told CANAL+ SPORT Afrique in French. Far from a backroom deal, Chelle described a rigorous process that tested his vision and understanding of Nigerian football. “I was invited to a coaches’ conference where I presented my project or my vision and philosophy. I thought it would happen much faster but due to some events, I had to wait, so I left. I left for Rouen, but then it’s true that I had this opportunity which I risk losing. So I returned. For this great project.” Just months before being unveiled by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Chelle had signed a deal with Algerian club MC Oran in October 2024. But as negotiations with Nigeria advanced, he knew where his heart — and future — lay. “In the final moments of negotiation, you felt their determination and that made me come,” Chelle revealed. “We were in discussions since before then. It took a while, but then it accelerated. It was very very fast, maybe that’s why it made a big buzz there, but no no no once again I was aligned on what I wanted to do.” Breaking Barriers, Facing Criticism Chelle’s appointment marked a historic moment — the first non-Nigerian African to manage the Super Eagles. But the response wasn’t entirely positive. His relatively modest coaching résumé — mainly lower-division French sides like FC Martigues and US Boulogne — led some critics to question his suitability for one of the most high-pressure jobs in African football. Even though he led Mali to the quarterfinals of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations and masterminded wins over Tunisia and South Africa, the doubts persisted. Still, Chelle is undeterred. “I was aligned on what I wanted to do,” he repeated, emphasizing that Nigeria’s football project — not prestige — drew him in. Born to a Malian mother and French father, Chelle spent his playing career in France, featuring for clubs like Martigues, Valenciennes, and Lens. He won Ligue 2 titles with Valenciennes in 2005 and Lens in 2009, and made five appearances for Mali between 2004 and 2006. Since transitioning to coaching in 2014, he has gradually built a reputation for disciplined, structured football — a style he now hopes to refine with Nigeria’s talented crop of players. What Lies Ahead? Chelle now faces the mammoth task of leading Nigeria to the 2026 FIFA World Cup and delivering results at the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco. His journey may have begun quietly — but with the eyes of a football-crazed nation now on him, Eric Chelle’s next steps will echo loudly.
Next article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More like this
Related

Women’s Champions League 2024/25: All You Need to Know About the New Format

The UEFA Women’s Champions League enters a new era...

‘I won’t make it’ – Lionel Messi Doubtful of World Cup Future

Lionel Messi was reduced to tears of emotion after...

Lamine Yamal Inherits Messi’s Iconic No. 10 Shirt; Club Confirms

Barcelona Star Boy, Lamine Yamal has been handed the...

Manchester City Strike Record £1 Billion Kit Deal with Puma

Manchester City have announced a record breaking 10-year contract...